Denver to Pine Ridge
The LakotaRide2017 is:
- A 350 mile horseback ride from Denver, CO to Pine Ridge SD.
- The Ride starts on July 22, 2017 in Denver.
- The Ride ends on August 12, 2017 in Pine Ridge.
- Riders can ride one mile, one day or multiple days.
- Riders can start and end in any single day during the Ride based on their schedules.
- Riders do not have to have any experience riding horses.
- The Ride is a fund raiser providing critical funding in support of our:
- Building a home for a Lakota family living on Pine Ridge.
- Remodeling and improving several homes throughout the reservation.
- Building and maintaining several community and family gardens on Pine Ridge.
- Providing scholarships for Native and non-Native youth to visit each other's communities and participate in programming through The Tipi Raisers.
- The Tipi Raisers provides horses, tack, support vehicles and Lakota guides throughout the Ride.
- We ask non-Native riders to obtain pledges of at least $500. However, we invite all riders and participants regardless of their ability to find the full pledge amount.
- Native riders are strongly encourage to ride without being asked to seek pledges. The Tipi Raisers will also do its best to provide transportation and support to Native riders so as to facilitate their participation in the Ride without any cost to them.
- If someone is not able to ride, we encourage the sponsorship of a Lakota rider or a donation to any of these worthwhile projects.