Denver to Pine Ridge
The LakotaRide2017 is:
- A 400 mile horseback ride from Golden, CO to the Pine Ridge Indian reservation in South Dakota.
- The Ride starts on July 22, 2017 at the Buffalo Bill Museum in Golden.
- The Ride ends on August 12, 2017 in Pine Ridge.
- Riders can ride one mile, one day or multiple days.
- Riders can start and end in any single day during the Ride based on their individual schedules.
- Riders do not have to have any experience riding horses.
- The Ride is a fund raiser providing critical funding in support of:
- Building a home for a Lakota family living on Pine Ridge.
- Remodeling and improving several homes throughout the reservation.
- Building and maintaining several community and family gardens on Pine Ridge.
- Providing scholarships for Native and non-Native youth to visit each other's communities and participate in programming through The Tipi Raisers.
- The Tipi Raisers provides horses, tack, support vehicles and Lakota guides throughout the Ride.
- We ask non-Native riders to obtain pledges of at least $500. However, we invite all riders and participants regardless of their ability to find the full pledge amount.
- Native riders are strongly encourage to ride and do not have to seek pledges.
- The Tipi Raisers will also do its best to provide transportation and support to Native riders so as to facilitate their participation in the Ride without any cost to them.
- If someone is not able to ride, we encourage the sponsorship of a Lakota rider or a donation to any of these worthwhile projects.