A Ride of Reconciliation
The LakotaRide 2018 is:
- A 400 mile horseback ride from Denver, CO to the Pine Ridge Indian reservation in South Dakota.
- The purpose of the Ride is to bring Lakota People and others together in order to encourage healing and understanding between the Lakota People and those who do not live on the reservation.
- The Ride is also a fund raiser providing critical funding in support of:
- Building a home for a Lakota family living on Pine Ridge.
- Remodeling and improving several homes throughout the reservation.
- Providing firewood, clothing, gasoline, food and necessary supplies throughout the year to families in need on Pine Ridge.
- Providing scholarships for Native and non-Native youth to visit each other's communities and participate in programming through The Tipi Raisers.
- The Ride starts on July 14, 2018 in Denver.
- The Ride ends on August 4, 2018 in Pine Ridge.
- Riders can ride one mile, one day or multiple days.
- Riders can start and end on any single day during the Ride based on their individual schedules.
- Riders do not have to have any experience riding horses.
- The Tipi Raisers provides horses, tack, support vehicles and Lakota guides throughout the Ride.
- We ask riders who do not live on Pine Ridge to obtain pledges of at least $500.
- If someone is not able to ride, we encourage the sponsorship of a Lakota rider or a donation to any of these worthwhile projects.